"oh my GOd there are TWO gay characters in this movie lets watch it"
"dude dude dude we have to see it it has a queer girl”
"I heard this movie has non-sexualized female character”
"ok I know it only has one girl but she is written like an ACTUAL PERSON!!"
"THERE IS A TRANS CHARACTER"
"so its not canon but if you squint I think this character is asexual”
"and get this the gay character is actually not white”
This post pretty much came about because I was asked if I had resources for Muslims who were discovering or newly coming to terms with their sexuality. I didn’t, and the poor advice I had to offer was … poor. So, I pulled up a few of the blogs I followed that are targeted towards queer Muslims, and put together this little post for you!
Queer Muslim Blogs:
- Ahwaa: An open space to debate LGBTQ-related issues in the Middle East
- ComingOutMuslim (check out their project here: [x])
- InQueeries channel with Yusef Woof (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Salaam Canada
- Muslims Against Homophobia and LGBT Hate facebook group
- Totally Radical Muslim Zine
Queer Muslim 101:
- A quick gender/sexuality 101
- But what does a queer Muslim even look like? (hint: they look like people)
- Defining homonationalism and pinkwashing.
- PDF:Homosexuality In Islam, by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle (Intro + 1st Chap) Buy your own copy!
- PDF:Muslim LGBT Inclusion Project, by Intersections International
- Why Safe Spaces are Important
- “I’m confused about my sexuality.”
- “I need proof from Qur’an and Sunnah that I’m not Haraam.”
- “What about the Qur’an and Hadith that chastise LGBT*Q Muslims?”
- Some hadiths can be read in different ways, so it’s best to look at the outcome.
- “Islam and LGBT* are not mutually exclusive.”
- “But I was taught Islam was the most heterosexist religion.” [tw: continuously moving background at the link]
- “But all Muslims are homophobic!” (spoiler alert: you’re wrong.)
- “But Muslims hate sex - it’s ~dirty~ to them!” (I would recommend this class for basic 101 on marriage and love [sex] in Islam. Take it with Basyouni.) (See also: x and x)
- “Love the sinner, hate the sin, and why that’s bullshit.”
- “Should I come out?” (spoiler alert: that’s up to you!)
- “Is there a place for LGBT*Q Muslims?” (Or “There’s no place for LGBT*Q Muslims/no organisations/no hope.”)
- “Will LGBT*Q Muslims go to hell?” (spoiler alert: I’m not God, how would I know?)
- “But it’s unnatural!” (lolk)
- “There aren’t any gay Imams or Sheikhs, so you’re just making things up!” (Also here.)
- “But no fatwa was made!” (It’s Wahabi.)
- A post about other Sheikhs’ opinions.
- “But there are no inclusive mosques for LGBT* Muslims!” (Just stop.)
- There is no place for homophobia in Islam.
- Let’s repeat that: There is no place for homophobia in Islam.
- Ayahs that talk about Prophet Lut.
- A closer reading of ayahs re: homosexuality (prev here but no longer).
- See also: You decide how you interpret your religion.
- Homosexuality in Sharia
- Homosexuality in Predominately Muslim Countries
- Predominately Muslim Countries who are taking steps toward equality. [x] [x]
- Same-sex marriage
- Queer Muslim Cinema: Azizah, Illuminations, Coming Out Muslim, A Jihad For Love, I Exist, Coming Out Muslim: Radical Acts of Love, Al-Nisa [BONUS: Show Al-Nisa and Red Summer (the producer) some love!], Circumstance, Naz + Maalik (Currently in production), Gay Muslims (a documentary produced by Channel 4 in the U.K), City of Borders, The Bubble, Out in the Dark (Palestinian and Israeli fall in love. facebook page).
- Queer Muslim Literature: [x] [x] [Gaylaxy magazine] [Bareed Mista3jil] [Totally Radical Muslims Zine]
- Desi LGBT*Q Hotline
- Queer Pakistan LGBT*Q Voice and Support Group [and here is a news article]
A good thing to remember is to avoid the self-hatred phase, if you can. Focus on loving yourself, and realising that Allah made you just the way you are, and that you are loved. If this phase is unavoidable, here are some helpful sites:
- Help! I’m losing my Islam
- Feeling suicidal?
- Suicide prevention
- Supporting someone who self-harms
- Suicide and Crisis Hotlines
- Online Crisis Network (for those with anxiety which prevents them from talking on the phone)
If you are from Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or India and want to share your experiences (anonymously), please click here.
If you can spare some funds, help navigatethestream, a queer Muslim, become an Imam to help the Muslim LGBT* community!
Happy Pride, everyone!
We compiled this list of tips to help Pride event organizers make their Pride events more inclusive for attendees with disabilities.
1. Ensure physical and cognitive accessibility from the start. Let’s go beyond just wheelchair ramps, raised viewing…
Conversations on Street Harassment often exclude Black Trans Women because we don’t view them as women& we see their bodies as inherently deserving of violence. We tend to see street harassment of trans women, not as gender based systematic violence, but as non-existent or inexplainable & unavoidable tragedy.
The moves Marvel is making now will have a greater impact on race and gender relations in this country than any politician or activist.— Dan Hevia (@DanHevia)July 17, 2014I quit.
One day African American households all over the country will add a photo of Marvel’s executive management team to photos of Mandela, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King and Obama on their mantle. Elders will regale youth with stories of an African American character who briefly replaced Captain America and a single title featuring an African American female character. Why, a black man even led a third (or fourth) tier Avengers team! If we’re really lucky, one day they might even hire an African American to tell these stories! Or any story!
(Photo: Sunshinepress via Getty Images, file)
Naked or sexually compromising photos intercepted by the NSA are routinely shared among intelligence workers, Edward Snowden says.
Captain Uhura should have been a thing
HERE FOR IT.
Themed commissions are fun and I’m doing them!
I’m opening 10 slots of Pokemon commissions. :-)
E-mail me at email@example.com to secure a slot.
- Fictional characters and OCs are totally fair game in terms of trainers, it doesn’t have to be you/your friends, I’m just as happy drawing Kaylee from Firefly or one of your OCs as I am drawing people you know.
- If there’s something involved that I can’t google, reference pics are much appreciated, the more the merrier. :-)
- Fan-created Pokemon are very OK too. I will gladly and enthusiastically draw your Fakemon.
- If you (or one of your friends) is in the picture and there’s details I should keep in mind about your appearance/height/gender presentation/etc feel free to add that in there. If I’m gonna draw you, I intend to draw you right! B-) Height is particularly important in couples pieces; if one of you is a foot and a half taller than the other I might end up accidentally drawing you eye to eye if I don’t hear otherwise.
- If you have additional ideas about poses, actions, outfits, etc, lemme know in the e-mail, otherwise I’ll go with whatever I think looks best!
Payment is handled upfront via my PayPal address firstname.lastname@example.org. When you e-mail me I’ll let you know where you are on the list and I’ll send you another e-mail when I start working on your piece. Turnaround time is usually a no more than a few days from start to finish. That means people at the end of the list will be seeing their pieces in a few weeks.
These commissions will be delivered via e-mail as two PNGs, one with a white background and one alternate with a transparent background. I’ll send over the PSD file too if you’d be into that. They can be used personally in any way you’d like except for profit, as long as you’re crediting me somewhere. I trust y’all.
Anything else relevant that you’re interested in, feel free to lemme know! If you’re interested in something along these lines that might be priced higher, like a Pokemon team portrait, let me know and we’ll figure a price out based on what you’re looking for.
Sweet! Let’s do this! Reblogs are appreciated although if you’re seeing this in a reblog, make sure to check my page to see whether the slots have already been filled. I’ll have a post up when I’m all full.
I never do this, but my family needs your help. this pit bull / boxer mix is named Daisy. she’s a four-year-old very lovable rescue. she needs a new home by the end of this week or my sister’s boyfriend is putting her down. she has escaped her enclosure a few times due to the gate being left open and the city has given the family citations because of it, causing their insurance to go up, so they are planning to put her down rather than find somewhere for her to live. she is not violent towards people, though she did occasionally fight with the other pit the family has (never to an extreme). she’s a kind, loving, sweet dog who needs a loving owner. she is spayed and all of her shots are up to date. we will pay for all training and equipment required by anyone who could take her in. my sister is heartbroken at the possibility of having to put her down and we have until the end of the week to find her a home. we’re located in Royal Oak, Michigan, but we will drive to you if you’re able to take her in.
please do me a favor and reblog this so we can find this lil babe a home. message or e-mail me if you or someone you know can help us. zhfields@gmail,com.
It’s because white cis women are the only women allowed enough nuance of personality to afford not to perform femininity to the high degree that women of color or trans women have to in order to be respected. That’s why it’s cute and Feminist! if white cis girls have hairy legs while Mexican girls are made fun of for having lip hair